China is generally regarded as a safe country for travelers, although there are some unavoidable petty crimes, such as pickpockets and petty thieves. Travelers should take routine safety precautions like they would at home, and be cautious with their possessions in public place.
Below are tips for safe travel in China:
* Do not display large amounts of money in public and keep your wallet hidden.
* Carry your passport, visa, credit cards, or other travel documents in a purse or travelerís wallet. Consider leaving them in the hotel safe.
* Leave your valuables in the hotel safe. Do not leave them in your room or carry them with you.
* Take care of your own belongings in crowded areas such as railway and bus stations, local festivals, markets, and tourist attractions.
* Do not travel to sites that are not open to foreigners.
* Exchange money in banks, hotels or other official exchange offices. Itís illegal to exchange currency with others.
* Respect the local customs and habits.
* Follow the Chinese laws and rules when traveling China.